Thursday 3 November 2022

Blog Anniversary - A Church in Bohemia 1866

It was exactly one year ago, 3rd November 2021, when this blog got started. Twelve months and seventy-two posts have passed. Now we have the start of a final series of images of my past work, which will show the buildings and scenery made for the Austro-Prussian War of 1866, and some of the figures which battle over them. 

It's been a fair bit of work doing the blog, but overall a rewarding experience. It is widely said now that blogs are a dying medium for showcasing one's work and have been for some years really. The main reason being that if you post pictures on Facebook and other social media then fiendish algorithms will herd viewers and "likes" towards your efforts, which doesn't happen really with a blog. Another factor is the sheer overkill in numbers terms: the Blogs Of War site unbelievably lists over 1500 wargames-related blogs(!)  But many of them are abandoned or only intermittently updated now, even some that were recently vibrant, which I find rather sad. People especially keen on grabbing attention now combine social media with webcam videos, never mind blogs. Fair play to those who are sufficiently tech-ey, and hungry enough for views (or sales), but that isn't me.

The straight facts are that each time I make the effort to photograph my models and carefully write an accompanying text, I like to think I am putting something unique and informative out into the hobby world. And maybe 80 people view it and half a dozen make any comment, which is a bit underwhelming to be honest. So I have had a good think about whether it's a sensible use of my time. But on balance I think it's still worthwhile. There is something satisfying in bulding up a proper chronicle of the modelmaking work I've done over the decades, and that would only be ephemeral on social media. Secondly although the numbers aren't large, the quality of interaction I've had with fellow hobbyists has been nice. Some of it has been via email rather than visible on the blog. I do very much appreciate your comments and occasional questions, and always reply to them. Several people have sent me pictures of their own modelling efforts, more or less inspired by mine. And I have made a couple of  pals from this who I now see in real life, which is great. 

So after this little bit of introspection, on we go! The plan is that once all the Bohemian stuff has been shown (half a dozen posts?), there will only be my latest models to post, as I produce them. However I will then try a tutorial or two, the first being step-by-step how to make nice trees. Hopefully that will spark some further interest. 

Anyway, here is a typical Bohemian church, posed with the commander of my Austrian forces, Feldmarschalleutnant (Lieutenant general) von Gablenz.

Gablenz was the best of the Austrian corps commanders in 1866. A dashing, dandified fellow, his soldierly qualities were too much for his Prussian opponent at the Battle of Trautenau, the only clear Austrian victory of the war. The Austrians suffered four or five times as many casualties against the Prussians' breechloaders, but hammered at the the latter until they gave up and retreated all the way back out of Bohemia. Here Gablenz wears his campaign dress as colonel-in-chief of an Uhlan regiment, and I was able to model him with the exact medals and orders he posessed at this date. Next to him is his chief of staff, and an Uhlan aide in the new-style light blue uniform salutes before galloping off with orders. In the foreground is X Corps' artillery commander, colonel Eisler, and a battery trumpeter. These figures are all heavy conversions, starting with North Star metals and Perry Napoleonic plastics.

This is the version of baroque style which prevailed across central and eastern Europe from the seventeenth century to the present, in the form of churches, official buildings and larger dwellings. 

The curly ornaments are from the jewelry department of Hobbycraft. The balls are mapping pins from the same source.

A "thing" with the Bohemian version of baroque is to have curved walls. Some churches and chateaus even have the side walls curved out, which gives me nightmares when I try to work out how to do a slate roof on top of such a thing!

The dome is based on one from a Faller model railway kit, although I added the overlapping sheet effect to the bronze roofing. 

Here Gablenz is joined by hussar colonel Wallis, who commanded one of the light cavalry brigades of the army.


17 comments:

  1. Wonderful model with beautiful details once again John. I do understand your review and analysis on whether the time spent on your blogging efforts are worthwhile, or not. It's obvious that you put a significant amount of thought and effort into each post and provide a lot of useful detail about each terrain piece, rather than simply presenting 10 or 15 "eye candy" shots with minimal descriptions. It would be rather disappointing if you decided the effort wasn't worth the reward and quit the blogosphere - so I am glad that, at least for now, the verdict is to carry on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as ever, rross. You are one of the faithful band who say something on most of my posts, and I always very much appreciate the comments from you and the other regulars.

      Delete
  2. I really like that command vignette: all the figures are perfectly posed and look very natural in their interaction.
    I agree on blogging. Although various social media really get you lots of views and exposure they just don't have the scope for recording your material. For me the value of the blog is the recording of my work and sharing it with a handful of fellow enthusiasts. In terms of exposure and interaction in the hobby community, it's a matter of quality over quantity when investing time and effort into a blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Codsticker. I just reminded myself of your multiple blogs, sepecially the Historicals one; we have something of the same style, I think. Your philosophy is just about the right way to see the activity of blogging our hobby.

      Delete
  3. Is it really a year already John? How time flies by! I know what you mean about the effort of Blogging versus the 'reward'. A fellow Blogger put it rather nicely as he sees it as sharing his efforts with a few 'close friends' rather than going for massed appeal. I take this view now and it keeps me going. Hope you keep going too.

    Anyway, superb figures and building as always. I love the yellow ochre finish oft seen in Austria and it reminds me of the many small chapels we used to see near farms and small hamlets, which I presume wer easy to get to even when snowed in in the Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comments, Steve. Yep, we have to see it as catering to a select few. Quality over quantity and all that.

      The layout which this church forms part of is very specifically for Bohemia rather than Austria, but the same cultural influences would apply, and this style is prevalent across the former Austro-Hungarian empire at the least. So I am not surprised you recognise the style from Austria. In general churches are less "vernacular" than the houses which surround them, having some pretensions to actual architectural styles.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the blog and its astonishing models. Quite the inspiration and doubly so when some figures are in view too.

    I follow quite a few blogs through a daily look round over breakfast. I don't follow the more modern media as it all seems rather frenetic. As someone who has moved a fair bit I often find myself a solo gamer for long periods so the internet is my link into a less isolated hobby. I'm grateful to those like you who take their time to share their hobby treasures with the rest of us.
    all the best,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen, or should I say "your grace", as you are a duke? What you say is great to hear.

      Delete
  5. Like others, I have been a silent viewer of your blog, and I enjoy the posts immensely.

    Only you can say whether it is worth continuing. It's a shame when good blogs like this fade away, but they always leave content behind that can be revisited or even re-discovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mr Hussar, I appreciate you making the effort to comment. I have done the exact same thing myself in the past, flicking through a regular circuit of blogs and adding no comment. It is only when you do a blog yourself that you fully appreciate either the effort that goes in, or the encouragement that the comments of fellow wargamers provides.

      Delete
  6. John, great work as usual, the church is wonderful and the figures are excellent with impeccable attention to detail.
    As for blogging, for me I think the desire to create a chronicle of some substance has to be part of it as all other forms of media from Facebook etc even back to the old forums are too ephemeral to create any sort of substantial record.
    It also takes more work to engage as a reader - I have been busy and haven't checked any blogs for a few weeks or so--your blog is so excellent though I will always go back to see if I missed any posts.
    Keep up the good work and hopefully you continue to find it all worth the investment of your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kym. You are another of the select band of regular commentors!

      Delete
  7. John the complexity of these model is easy to just pass over but closer examination really shows what a work of art it is. As you know I love looking at your models and regularly refer to them for inspiration for my own much more humble efforts. Please continue with your blog and I for one am really looking forward to your tutorials and I think with time many more readers will “ discover” your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou, Martin! Much appreciated as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous looking church with delightful detail, as is the command stand. I'm glad you're continuing you're blog, it's great to see the models and the thought process, I blog to keep a record really and comment are a bonus, I can't face the other options so a gentle meander on a blog suits me!
    Best Iain ( caveadsum1471)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please continue with your blog, I too am one of the silent watchers.I would say your work is brilliant and a surefire inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou very much, Iain and James. Another post should be up later today, by the way. I've just been a bit busy with Franco-Prussian War figures and rules.

    ReplyDelete