Wednesday 8 December 2021

The Last Post and the Ones That Got Away

This isn't really the last post from Hand Built History, but it's the last one to consist solely of a bit of written fluff plus images from my desktop archive, because I am all out of them now. However, this brings us to Phase Two  I do have a good few more things I have built which I didn't photograph because there was no "platform", if that's the right word, to publicise them. I wasn't selling anything, my mates saw the actual models, and I had no need and no means to photograph them. I am now broadly set up to take pictures again though, with Phil Olley's advice, and will be experimenting with this during the coming week. Depending how that goes we may have posts of miniature Belgium, Belorussia or Bohemia in a few days time. Get the little "teaser" there, eh!

Today though, here's three images of a German village house I made with and for Phil, whose Imagi-Nations set up you will know about. My idea was that I was going to show him how quick and easy it really was, he would help in this and then fly off to make his own buildings. But we spent a couple of long evenings making this and then another long evening just starting to paint it, and I could see Phil's eyes glazing over a bit! Really it was a daft idea to start with a timber-framed building, because they are time-consuming to make and fiddly to paint. So I finished it off myself, presented it to Phil earlier this year and in no time he had photographed it as part of the "fairy-tale Germany" over which his Vaubarians and what-not campaign so winsomely.

Before you get to the pictures though, I wanted to mention, or lament really, the Ones That Got Away, the buildings I didn't get photographs of and no longer have the opportunity to do so, hence they will probably not be seen now. Which is a pity, because they were some of my nicest work. 

Mostly these were made with and for my much-missed friend Mark Sturmey, who passed away four years ago now after bravely fighting Motor Neurone Disease. Mark had eclectic interests in terms of wargames periods and the models concerned were for the Trojan Wars and the Carlist Wars in the Basque region of 1830's Spain. Some of this was models I made as presents for Mark, some he paid me for and a some we made between us, as Mark was learning to build terrain very skilfully before the cruel condition took away the strength of his hands. Mark's family retained all these models. Anyway, the Trojan things comprised houses and a temple meant to eventually go behind the walls of Troy; it was interesting to research a very different period, There was a lot more Spanish stuff though: a town, a unique Basque farm, a storehouse, wells, wayside crosses and a beautiful baroque church.

Finally, I made some lovely German village units for a friendly customer called Jonathon Marcus, who used to work for the BBC. I think I probably photographed them at the time, but those images never got stored on my PC, so are lost. 

That's my little lament over. Here's Phil's house and I hope to have more stuff for you before many days at all. Cheers.

 





15 comments:

  1. Great work their John, with the plaster and staining at the base very realistic. Out of curiosity, is the roof tiling a ready item, as I couldn't tell? I think it is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve, and yes it is just the Wills sheet of round tiles. The "speckled" appearance, which I have described before makes it look a bit more irregular than it actually is.

      The damp/ dirt/ stain/ moss business around the bottom edge has became one of my trademarks. I think it helps a structure look more "rooted", rather than just sitting on top of the ground. It's done with successive thin washes of ink or wash. The important thing is to avoid it having a hard, defined top edge, which I do by dabbing at the upper edge immediately it's applied with a very damp tissue.

      Delete
  2. Very nice indeed - looking forward to the next stage of the blog too. A shame we can't see your best work, I do like a Trojan project - but hopefully whatever you have in store next will make up for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. John great stuff as always . I am in the process of painting some scratch built French buildings for the Franco Prussian war and these pictures provide me with a great guide as to how I can make them look better. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stuff, Martin. When you say Franco Prussian War French, do you mean the Lorraine province style of buildings, as fought over around Metz, and shown notably in the Panorama of Rezonville?

      Delete
  4. I am having problems commenting but yes you are right , basic rural buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not at your standard yet but I keep practicing. My 28mm models are based on the 10mm houses made by Timecast . I was not sure about the pantile roofs but have now seen photographic evidence . I first thought it might just be an artistic convention. The colour scheme will be based on the Detaille paintings.
    Apologise for the multiple post but my tech support ( daughter) has solved the problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a bit of a nerd about wargames buildings for the FPW, as I am planning to make some myself next year. The early phase of the war was fought across three provinces (Alsace, Lorraine and Ardennes) each of which had a distinct style of local architecture, so we have to choose one out of those three.

    The biggest battles took place in Lorraine of course and it sounds as though you are onto the main source here, the "Panorama de Rezonville". This was a huge painting of that battle, done by Detaille and De Neuville, based on close study of the actual scene. So there could not be a better reference.

    You are right about the tiles: in Lorraine the main roofing material was red clay pantiles, which is unusual so far north. Churches and more prosperous buildings might use slate roofs instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very nice cottage but I can empathise with your mates glazed eyes....I doubt I have the patience to create models of your standards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I cheerfully told Phil I'd show him how to make buildings, I didn't think about it properly. Not having built anything myself for a couple of years, I tried to incorporate too many "bells and whistles" here. I need to think about more accessible methods, because I am convinced any wargamer who can paint figures has the ability to produce nice scenery too.

      Delete
  8. This has been a great series of photos. Inspirational as long as that means I don't have to build anything myself - the figures take up more than all my time.
    I'm glad the revelations will continue with new photos.
    I'm sorry the Carlist War buildings are not photographed as it's one of the periods I have too.

    all the best

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen, much appreciated. The service will be resumed over the coming days. I have just got a bit bogged down in decorating and Christmas stuff over the last week.

      Delete
  9. I recall seeing the Trojan houses on a visit to your attic room in Coventry - would love to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely German build,I've just whizzed through your blog,fascinating stuff and lots of useful pointers, I'll come back for more!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete