Friday 24 December 2021

Deja Vu in Wargames Illustrated

In my post of 18th November, I mentioned that checking copyright permission to use these WI cover photos from 1989 produced a nice request from editor Dan Faulconbridge for a piece in the next issue. No sooner said than done, because here is the short piece we agreed which has now been published in WI 409, the new issue. I suppose it's definitely a sign of having been around for a long time when something you remember doing only a few years ago comes back as a nostalgia-based article! If anyone has found this blog because of the WI piece, welcome, and please leave a comment.

Dan is interested in publishing "how-to" articles from me in future, so that is something I will be thinking about in due course. I'm not sure whether, these days, it's more help to more people to publish such a thing in a magazine or online. Perhaps the answer is both, if we can find a way to do that. 

Anyway, you may be thinking, enough of this fluff, where are the new photographs of scenic models we've been promised for several weeks now? Close, hopefully; I now have a camera, a lighting rig, a neutral background and Phil's shown me how to set it up. Unfortunately I took one look at the controls and the manual for the camera and it was my turn to have a glazing-over of the eyes. But I will knuckle down to learning how to use the beast, just as soon as the Christmas period is over.

Talking of which, Merry Christmas to everyone! It's been a ropey year for many of us, not least on account of the virus. But that's what we have  hobbies for: something creative and interesting to focus on is a good way to cheer ourselves up when there's gloom in the real world!



3 comments:

  1. A very merry Christmas to you too John. It's been great having your blog to look at for inspiration and I look forward to seeing the results once you have mastered the techniques of modern digital photography ! Me, I just use my phone 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup same here. My phone camera’s pretty good and the one on my iPad is even better. Don’t get bogged down with the tech. Merry Xmas too while I think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! Hope you've had a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete