Saturday 17 August 2024

Buildings of Ancient Greece

You may have noticed that so far I haven't shown anything going back beyond the Middle Ages or so. Partly that reflects my own favourite wargaming periods of mainly "horse and musket" plus World War II.  But when I was working on commissions it was just what people wanted me to build. There was an exception however, as my late friend Mark Sturmey had interests which very much included the ancient world. Specifically he built up armies for the Trojan Wars, and for Republican Rome versus Pyrrhus of Epirus. For the first of those wars he was very taken with the tales in Homer's Iliad, where the Greek and Trojan armies clashed outside the city of Troy. So he asked me to create some suitable buildings to set the scene, and we had a number of games using the "Impetus" rules with some special abilities for the various heroic commanders, reflecting the favour of the gods.

Something for Sale

These buildings never got photographed for reasons I've related before, but they have come back into my posession recently, following Mark's family selling his collection via Hinds Figures. As with the Basque stuff shown in the last post it was nice to see them again, and good to photograph them for the record. But I honestly don't think I am likely myself to ever need wargaming scenery for ancient Greece. Having thought it through therefore, I have decided for once to sell these models on. The first sensible offer will therefore secure these four buildings, and I'll be glad to see them go to a good home. To give you an idea, I am thinking of a sum in the low hundreds of pounds. If you have wargaming pals who might be interested I would be grateful if you could mention this to them.

News on the Perrys' Franco-Prussian Range

A couple of years ago I was dragged away from doing my own stuff to make masters for the French and Prussian artillery pieces of 1870. I feel it as a certain honour to be part of the Perry project. If you are interested in this period you will know that Michael Perry is now currently working on a third plastic set currently, ie Bavarian Infantry. So the news is that I have been commissioned to make masters of the Bavarian four- and six-pounder guns for this period. I've promised Michael that these masters will be in his hands before the end of this year at the latest. These will be the most accurate models of these little-known but distinctive guns available to the wargamer in any scale. 

I am able to update you a little bit more on the progress of this popular but ever-so-slowly-appearing range. Michael, whose range it is, says he is very conscious he needs to do more to complete the French army, not least Zouaves, Turcos and the remaining cavalry. I have mentioned to him the need for some generals for both sides, and horse artillery crews. Anyway, we haven't seen anything at all since being shown the "3-up" masters for the rank and file Bavarians in April, despite it being over a year since the last metal packs. I think work has been focussed on completing the plastic Bavarians, but my guess is that their release (by the end of 2024?) will be accompanied by some metal (Bavarian) packs. Would it have been better to complete the main armies before starting the Bavarians? Absolutely, imho, but artists have to go where inspiration takes them. 

On top of this I don't think it's giving too much away to say that Michael hasn't been in the best of health for a couple of years. However I am pleased to hear that the trouble has turned out to be of a less serious nature than first thought, and Michael is positive about being fighting-fit once again before too much longer. So there's good reason to see the FPW range as moving forward more swiftly again soon. 


So, on with the Ancient Greek buildings:


I researched the buildings for this period and culture and was pleased to find plenty of information online, based on archeology, reconstructions and surviving fragments. As with all vernacular architecture the materials had to be available close by and for free. But the way those materials are put together varies from one culture to another. In this case we have stone bases, tapered inwards slightly, with upper walls reminiscent of the torchis method.


The roofs were flat because this isn't an area with a great deal of rainfall or snow. They were based on a layer of logs covered with a mixture of mud, dung aand straw. In modern reconstructions they always appear darker than the walls. The inhabitants apparently used the roofs as a living space, accessing them by ladders.


These buildings are designed to work together as a group, a village or whatever, rather than being large individual models.


I added quite a few details in this courtyard and on the roofs: jars, amphorae, baskets, mats, etc.


The wicker mats were made of real wicker, so to speak, so they look quite convincing. I wove them out of coconut fibres around thicker vertical strands. 


These buildings were made specifically for the Trojan wars, so part of the Mycenean Greek culture. But the styles of construction wouldn't have changed over centuries. Hence they are suitable for Greece and Asia Minor over the whole ancient period and into the Byzantine era.


Something of a picnic seems to have been laid out here. I expect that watching heroic combats, inspired by the gods, still called for a few snacks...


This building is based on modern reconstructions of a small temple from the Mycenean culture.



5 comments:

  1. Superb work their John and a nice bit of history too on how the buildings were made and used:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of interesting news there. The buildings are fascinating and a great boon to anyone who has troops for that period. The news of Michael's improved health prospects is very welcome. New troops are always welcome as reports filter through. I look forward to your future posts.
    wishing you and your readers well,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent looking buildings as always John, and plastic Bavarians, now, that could tempt me to indulge in a small FPW collection......!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys. Your comments are always very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John thanks for the inside track on the Perry figures like many others I am waiting and hoping for Zouaves Turcos etc but in the mean time I am ploughing ahead with line French infantry and all the basics. The good news as I see it is if Micheal is moving to make Bavarians it must be because the range has sold reasonably well and more stuff will come out eventually. Look forward to further updates.

    ReplyDelete