Monday 7 February 2022

Russian Village

Here we go with the last of the Russian stuff and then it will be on to pastures new.

This and the next image are of the type of well called a "well sweep", typical of parts of Russia, but common in many areas of the world. There is no rope or handle; instead the bucket is connected by a stick to a large counterbalanced beam, pivoting on a fork-shaped upright. The user grabs the stick and pulls it down until the bucket takes in water and then lets the counterweight do most of the work of pulling it up. Obviously this kind of well only works in places where the water table is close to ground level.

This pic illustrates what I immediately noticed was the downside of my lovely new photographic backdrop: the long static grass looks lush and natural. but doesn't give under the slight weight of models placed on top of it. Hence they seem to "float" on the tips of the grass, emphasising the edge of the base, which I would much prefer not to notice. I'm not a big user of emoticons, but 😖. I was thinking of building my wargames board with a static grass finish, but it's back to the drawing board on that one...

I didn't make this store/ shack myself, just painted it. It's really only here for completeness.

And finally two pictures of the village assembled.

And to finish today's festival of self-deprecation, I notice this shot reveals the "edge of the sky". But if I crop that out, you wouldn't see how the fence elements can be arranged to suggest individual plots behind each house, so I'll leave it. Never mind.

In a few days I will be photographing some models from a very different place, so I'll see you all (virtually) when they get posted.


9 comments:

  1. Excellent - the village looks great all set out together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent collection of Russian buildings that could be used for games spanning several centuries...I do like the well very much too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That well piece is lovely and a nice little addition to the village. I've not used one like this, just a classic rope and bucket when I lived in Nigeria as a VSO in the early 1990's. Easy to use during the rains as the water table was high, but rather hard and took a good technique in the dry season when the water was rather a long way down. You certainly appreciate just being able to turn the tap on at home!

    The whole village looks brilliant and the back drop works a treat. For my games board I use an old but still in perfect condition GW static grass mat. Sadly you can't seem to get them now but the work a treat. Functional rather than very aesthetic but it works with my current gaming set up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work. Love the well and the whole village is fantastic.

    I have noticed the same issue with the nicer static grasses out there. I fiddle around with it for photos, trying to minimize the effect, but in games when I am looking down at the tabletop I don't really notice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, folks. Interesting to hear about real-life well use!

    In real (wargames) life my tabletop has always been a bit um, basic, whatever scenery has been laid on top of it. Nearly two years ago I bought a load of 20mm blue foam and hardboard to make a system of terrain units with inlaid rivers, to be covered in static grass in a "patchwork of fields". I'd hoped this trial with the backdrop would move that forward, but sadly it's not gonna work.

    I now think the answer lies somewhere in the area of cloths, mats and teddy bear fur. I am going to get a medium sized piece of the latter and experiment, perhaps starting with Backdrop 2.0 before too long. There are pros and cons with every approach and a tension between flexibility and attractiveness. I will post my experiments in due course and explain my thinking. Feedback will be welcome as that proceeds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work as usual, John, plus some very useful advice! Thank you for that. The Pegasus kits are highly recommended, used one myself for a russian winter scene ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. more loveliness John. Reminds me that I have sweep well for my medievals, purchased from GreenLine in Germany, so I must 'knuckle down' and use your wonderful scratchbuild as my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work John. I will watch with interest when you do the grass boards.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comments' guys. Painterman, I have a Green Line bridge in my terrain. It's a smashing model, but too delicate for the wargames table. They do some lovely-looking models alright.

    Another post coming soon.

    ReplyDelete