Monday 15 November 2021

Spanish Village Units

 12 days of Hand-Built History and a post every day! This will slow down once I have posted images of all the projects I've got photographs of. But that will keep me going another week or ten days yet. 

Today's effort is the Spanish village units I constructed in 1999, to go with Garry Broom's vast Peninsula War collection. You cans see them posed in most of these images. Although making models flat out during the term at Hertford Uni, I was one of the few who still wanted to be building stuff during the holidays. James Sharpe was another, as I recall. 

This might be the point to explain what I mean by "village units". As I was a wargamer who plays games with large, strictly applied  ground and figure scales, I had developed the technique of starting with a base which covers the real ground area of a village for the period, to the ground scale in use. That's quite a small area when 1" = 100 paces say. Each base is then given a "perimeter" of walls, hedges or fences as appropriate and incorporating a few trees as well. Finally each one gets several buildings, perhaps including a church. Thus in a very finite area you have the impression of a real village rather than one large house its own, which sometimes stands for a village on the wargames table. The pictures you see here actually have a couple of such units pushed together for photographic purposes, but hopefully you get the idea. You should be able to pick out the same arrangements in other village units build for home use, such as the recent Ardennes stuff. 

Another feature of what I build for my own use is that the buildings are somewhat "condensed" in their ground area, whilst still hopefully looking credible with the figures used. This is so that several of them can be fitted into a village unit and give an attractive impression of a village. They are kind of not meant to be looked at as an individual house or church, but seen as part of a larger entity. Some wargamers don't like this approach, but each to their own. Of course when I built models on commission it was up to the customer. 

The other exception I make to this approach is when building something for a skirmish-level game. In this case each window or door can matter, and a structure has to look real-size in its dimensions. When I get them photographed, you will be seeing what I mean with some WWII "Chain of Command" buildings and a few Chicago gangster things I made.







5 comments:

  1. John,

    You remain the best tree maker in the business.

    I have followed your path using the same materials but still prefer the ones you made for me.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John. I have continued to develop the technique a little over the years, and definitely plan a tutorial on my current version of the method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful models your choice of colour schemes is first rate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic looking village and I think your approach to building ground scale is quite well established. I remember when the "new" mdf buildings with teddy bear fur thatched roofs etc started to appear, they seemed ridiculously large to me. A friend (ex professional model maker of architectural models etc) explained that it was because we are used to seeing model railway buildings and that a basic convention existed whereby these models are to scale with figures in terms of height (otherwise, they would look very odd) but are not to scale in terms of area footprint. Because the mdf kits are to scale in all dimensions, they seem huge to us in comparison - but of course, if being used for skirmish games, they do need to be to scale with the figures used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks martin and rross. Your modelmaking friend explained the "building footprint issue" in exactly the way I would. There is a nefarious tendency for all our figures and terrain items to get bigger as the decades pass. "Scale creep" some call it. There just seems to be a human thing that if two models are otherwise just as attractive, the slightly larger one will look better to many eyes. That then becomes the norm and someone soon takes it further. Napoleon had a fairly basic approach to architecture, which may reflect this tendency: "Ce qui est grand est toujours beau"!

    ReplyDelete